Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Burning Wheel, Part 2: The Monster Burner



So, as usual, this isn't much more than a review after what's a cursory glance. The question I had when looking at this book was: will it help me make monsters in Burning Wheel?

The answer is a resounding YES. This'll help me make amazing monsters for Burning Wheel.

Wait, what's all this other stuff in here? Interesting...

OK, so there's a lot more to the Monster Burner than it looks at first glance. There's a section detailing the stats and why they are the way they are, the 100 questions for making a monster, and quite a number of monstrous races, complete with lifepaths for players, several appendices detailing the math behind shades and using the monsters. And of course, the wonderful information on how to build your own lifepaths and traits. There's more, but this is the stuff I thought was important, so I'm gonna review it!

Really, this thing is a catch-all. The sections on stats and shades I found extremely illuminating, and I'm tempted to show my future players these sections for their own education. It just seemed more informative than the Gold explanation, and a lot more in depth! The monster races I like to a certain extent. Basically it seemed like it was just loving on Orcs as far as player races were concerned, which was a bit annoying. That being said, I wouldn't mind using these lifepaths to make really detailed monsters the players would have to face. As a resource for a GM this part is fantastic, but I really wouldn't want to see these as player races.

Of course, I could be (and probably am) wrong. Dunno. Has anyone tried any of these races? If so, please comment and let me know how it went!

The custom lifepaths and traits section is just flat-out amazing. I loved looking through and realizing that creating these things would be relatively easy, especially with the guidelines in the book! I can't wait to give this particular section a whirl and draw up a few lifepaths for, say, a sci-fi game. Or a Japanese game. Or whatever. That's the beauty. These sections are so bloody simple that you could pretty much hack the game however you wanted, and the game would still have a pretty similar level of quality!

This is exactly the sort of book I've always wanted for an RPG: something that breaks down the math and shows me how to make anything I want. Rather than go and make tons of cash off of us by requiring that we buy everything that comes up into his head before releasing the math, Mr. Crane lets us under the hood immediately, and helps us do exactly what RPGs are supposed to do: make up whatever we want and have a good time doing it.

Ha, Carpe! Got here first!

6 comments:

  1. *sticks out tongue* Oh, for the lack of about $18...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd disagree about the love for orcs. Sure, Giant Spiders, Great Wolves, and Trolls are all associated with Orcs, but there are entire settings where they exist on their own. The wolves have an awesome nomadic/native american vibe, the spiders are just completely alien, and the trolls... are CUTE. Seriously, the trolls aren't evil, they're just carnivorous, tough, and really stupid. You could have a wonderful game where a troll is trying to make friends with a village that keeps on driving him away...

    And the Roden! They fill the halfling spot in the game ecology, but with a lovely Redwall/Skaven twist =)

    Don't write off the monstrous species as pcs until you try them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stand corrected. You, sir, make a compelling case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BWHQ (Luke's crew) in fact ran an all-wolf campaign, and posted accounts of it here:
    http://www.burningwheel.org/forum/showthread.php?3695-BWHQ-Wolves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And a really excellent Burning Wheel Actual Play is the "Great Orc Lord is Dead", including orc PCs and a troll PC:
    http://www.burningwheel.org/forum/showthread.php?6527-BW-The-Great-Orc-Lord-Is-Dead

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I really must try this now! You guys really are zealous for these PC races. I'll have to allow them, if only so I can tell you the experiences I had!

    ReplyDelete