Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Horrible Horrible Thought

 
I can't believe I'm writing a post on this...

So the other day I was praying and reading Scripture, like the good little Catholic boy that I am, when I look over at one of my impromptu book-shelves. This one happens to have most of the RPGs I own. They are:

4th edition Dungeons and Dragons (it's own section)
Gamma World, 4th edition
World of Darkness
Changeling
Hunter
Mutants and Masterminds
3.5 Dungeons and Dragons (some borrowed)
Vampire the Masquerade (borrowed)
Serenity
Burning Wheel
Star Wars Saga (loaned out to Raphael, he's running a game in that system)

As I was considering the readings (which were about how you're supposed to do good to those who do evil to you, and that each person deserves some amount of good), this conversation sorta popped into my head. This is as accurate as my admittedly horrible memory will allow. It also made my girlfriend giggle with glee, which is just as bad as me giggling with glee.

ME: Don't you have too many of those?
Me: Um, excuse me?
ME: You heard me. Don't you have too many?
Me: Um, no?
ME: No, really, you do. Think about it. How many of these games have you actually played? C'mon, spell it out for me.
Me: WHO THE HELL ARE YOU AND WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY HEAD?
ME: I'm your maturity. I'm a bit late to the game, but I'm starting to move in.  It's messy in here, by the way. You should totally clean up.
Me: Oh SHIT, you finally showed up?
ME: Yup! And you still haven't answered the question. Oh you who are going to be my bitch.
Me: I am not-
ME: You totally are. And your girlfriend will love it. She'll start calling you responsible. Which is totally true, BTW's.
Me: *Sigh* I've played 4th edition, Gamma World, Saga Edition, World of Darkness, Mutants and Masterminds, I USED to play 3.5.... see? I've played quite a few of them.
ME: But not all of them. And you're considering buying the new Marvel RPG when you have a super hero's RPG sitting right next to your head??? 
Me: ... a collector's item? Since Marvel doesn't keep any RPG in print for too long? *Glares at the Marvel Universe system*
ME: Give it a rest, just for a little while. If only so you can eventually get to the Serenity RPG at some point.
Me: OK, now that's just cold. What makes you so mature?
ME: I happen to agree with your girlfriend, your dad, and every authority figure you've ever known?
Me: .... stash your stuff next to the giant statue of Spider-Man. Don't eat too much.

Am I the only one completely and totally horrified? I better not be. When I informed Maria of this conversation, she about died laughing. She thought it was funny!

Figures.

1 comment:

  1. Be careful with that guy; he can make you spend your days at work and your evenings in class all because you want to earn/achieve the ability to take responsibility.

    Having been through the above myself, I wonder if the cliche isn't true in this case that maturity is more the journey than the destination?

    ReplyDelete