Tuesday, April 3, 2012

My List of RPGs

Here's the RPG's I own, with a short review of each one if I have any play experience of them. My actual experiences aren't all the impressive, but oh well.

Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition


Books Owned
Players Handbooks 1, 2, and 3
All the power source books
Eberron, Forgotten Realms, and Dark Sun
Manual of the Planes
The Shadowfell boxed set
Madness at Gardmore Abbey boxed set
Both DM's Guides
Monster Manuals 1 and 2
Time Played: 5 years. No, not 4 and a half. I was playing this game off of bits of leaked info 6 months before the game was released.
4th edition was the first RPG I ever loved. Totally disgusted by 3rd edition, I found in 4th what I was looking for: a tactical game that allowed for some awesome action scenes. It's the RPG I've spent the most time with, by far. After a span of time trying to make 4th edition be a true narrative game I've found enough games that actually do narrative play to allow 4th edition to be what it always was: an awesome tactical RPG.

Star Wars SAGA
Books Owned
Core Rulebook
Threats to the Galaxy
The Unknown Regions
Knights of the Old Republic era
Rebellion era
Legacy era
Time Played: One campaign and approximately four sessions.
Star Wars SAGA is one of those games that, when I sit down to actually play it, I find I enjoy immensely. The action is incredibly fast and cinematic and, in some ways, plays better than 4th edition. The only reason I haven't played so much SAGA? I've always been playing long-term games with 4th. Thankfully that won't be a problem after this year.

Mutants and Masterminds 2e
Books Owned
Mutants and Masterminds
Masterminds Manual
Paragons Campaign Setting
Time Played: 4 sessions
Talk about a missed opportunity. I loved playing this game, and yet I've played... a measly 4 sessions. Huh. Darn. Well, it's going to come up. I bought the Paragons Campaign Setting, and I'll definitely be using it sometime sooner than later.

Burning Wheel
Books Owned
Burning Wheel Gold
Monster Burner
Magic Burner
Adventure Burner
Time Played: 5 sessions

As the second newest addition to my RPG collection, Burning Wheel has completely reshaped how I view RPGs in five...short... sessions... This will become my main RPG after Situational Blindness is done. Period.



Mouse Guard


Books Owned
The box set
Sessions Played: 1
I list it as a separate game from Burning Wheel because, while it uses the same basis as Burning Wheel, it really is its own distinctive game. After one play session I've decided that I'll be running this and Burning Wheel this summer. Yes, they're both that good.

World of Darkness
Books Owned
World of Darkness (new)
Time Played: One year
I've run and played in a game in the last year, and I have to say that the greatest thing about this system is the lore they've set up. Don't get me wrong, the game rules are pretty stellar. But, overall, I say the system is easy to play in and to run. Willpower isn't actually used all  that much, but Carpe and I found a way to hack the system to where it runs better.

Gamma World
Books
Gamma World boxed set
Time Played: 12 sessions
Oh gosh, this game is... this game is... words fail me. Sunohara probably has more to do with my impressions of this game than anything, but it doesn't matter. This game is awesome. But you have to have the right group of people to play it. I still play it from time to time whenever I need a laugh.


Changeling the Lost
Hunter the Vigil
Vampire the Requiem
Serenity


The above are games that, while I haven't played them yet, I really look forward to doing so! I like their lore and their feel, and will play them whenever I can. I do have a Vampire-Hunter game in mind, some day...

EDIT: Since it was so close to the actual posting date, I decided to add Mouse Guard in.

5 comments:

  1. Technically, our campaign has crossed into shades of Hunter. I'd say that Ivy, Sharon, and George easily form a Cell that's gotten Changeling contact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sitting on a bunch of unplayed SAGA books myself. Beliefs and artha are easy to hack into Saga, so I hope to play it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy: I'd like the next game to incorporate a bit of that, then. You'll have to argue it out with Maria (who wants to stay in Mortals) and with Bryna, but I agree with your assessment whole-heartedly.

    Ben: Indeed. But since I've added Mouse Guard, I may be out of room in my weekly rotation for this summer...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really should post about your experience running Mouse Guard for the family. Ideally immediately, as I may be unexpectedly running Mouse Guard for my mother later today. ;-)

    ReplyDelete