Friday, June 17, 2011

At the Bottom of the Hill

A special thanks to Taylor and Clannad Central who uploaded all the videos I'm going to use for this series of reflections. I haven't heard anything about Taylor's situation, but when I do I'll make sure to let you guys know. Keep up the prayers!
I'd just had a really bad break up with a girlfriend, so I was dazed, confused, depressed, and in desperate need of company. My friend Marty made it a point to make sure I was never alone, so he started showing me the most positive anime he could find, played an obscene amount of video games with me, and made sure that I didn't feel alone. It was a pretty easy task, come to think of it, because we hung out so often to begin with.
I'd only seen Fullmetal Alchemist, and was more than willing to find out if FMA was a fluke or a sign of Japan's quality. So Marty showed me Eureka 7, which I watched in about a week (pretty good for a 50 episode show and a full load at school)! Eureka 7 is an anime I might review sometime, but for now all you need to know is that I really liked the show, and that I found myself liking this whole "anime" thing.
So far I'd seen shows about the number one thing I needed, which was hope, and I desperately needed to be shown more. Upon questioning Marty said he had this anime that he knew I was going to love, that it was the saddest thing I'd ever see, but so beautiful that if I didn't cry I simply wasn't human. I was in a pretty depressed mood so I told him that was fine with me. I felt sad, so it made sense to watch something sad and beautiful. And crying didn't feel like such a bad thing to do, either. We sat down, pizza in tow, and this is what I saw.

I never looked back.

No comments:

Post a Comment