Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Fiasco RPG Review


So, after a number of months, I've finally started to "get" how to play Burning Wheel. Standing back and only challenging the players when they fail a roll is a bit challenging, but so incredibly worthwhile... except for one thing. Burning Wheel is a long term game, and I am not known as the most patient person on the face of the planet. Sometimes I just want something NOW!

Heh hehheHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! FIASCO!

I apologize for that outburst of evil laughter, but Fiasco is so damn evil that it makes me giggle. But then again, I like Oh Brother, Where art Thou?, Raising Arizona, and The Ladykillers.


That's right, this a game that's made to emulate Coen brother movies. Be afraid, people! Similar to another favorite game of mine, 3 Dragon Ante, this game seems to take the worst of all humanity and makes sure that you have to indulge in it as much as possible to get ahead. The game is GM-less and, while it doesn't look it at first, this can be a ridiculously competitive game. Why? Because in the first half of the game you can help determine how crappy of an ending your "friends" have. In the playtest game I completely screwed over a friend of mine, and we both enjoyed it immensely, if only because I managed to get the upper hand through good play. 

I'm not gonna lie, this game probably doesn't have to be so damn competitive. But, but... why would you play it any other way?

4 comments:

  1. Your last sentence is wrong. Yes, yes it does. :-P

    In all seriousness, though, that competitiveness is what gives the game such an edge and drive. First, it's innate to the game--notice that as dice of one color trickle out, you're left with dice of the other color? Second, it makes things more tightly charged by exploiting a vicious cycle of tit-for-tat.

    Also, the final word's never out until the last dice are rolled in the Aftermath. I've seen people with a pile of single-colored dice get awful results, and people with mixed dice get off as good as they could manage in the situation. I love that. I love the chaos.

    Also, you'll have to ask me about the orphanage...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...which you burned down, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, no, quite the opposite. It was an innocuous little detail which proved to be the emotional core of the aftermath in some very touching scenes of screwed-over protagonists.

      Delete
  3. You're going to need a smaller midget. A much smaller midget.

    ReplyDelete