Thursday, December 27, 2012

Amazing Spider-Man 700 Main Story Review (Spo-HOI-lers!)

Why did they ever prefer Kirby's cover to THIS?

The first time (of many) that I read the main story of this issue, I was in shock. I just sat there, looking at the comic book on my screen, staring into space. Maria can vouch for the fact that I wasn't truly... there... for the rest of the night. When I went to bed I just lay there, staring up at the ceiling. I waited until today to read the comic again, and I'm noticing I'm in a bit more of a commentary-ish mood, and well, I just wanted to share my thoughts on this, the most important Spider-Man story ever published(!), with y'all. Yes, I just said the most important. The best, really.

Cause it's the one where Peter Parker dies.

I've read the boards, and the vast majority of people just don't seem to get it. They rant and rave about how awful a story this is, how there's missteps in the pacing, and that it's the dumbest idea ever. I mean, you've got your death threats, your "I hate Dan Slott" idiots, the list just goes on and on. By making those comments, these people completely miss the point about who and what Spider-Man is, was, and always will be, even without Peter Parker. 

Spider-Man has always been about making the best of a really horrible situation that you're more than half responsible for. 

Uncle Ben? A really horrible situation that was entirely Spidey's fault.
Gwen and Gwen's dad? Spidey was directly responsible for those tragedies.
Kraven's Hunt? OK, that one stands a bit cause it wasn't really Spidey's fault, but check on the bad situation...

But you get the idea. Spidey's always been at his best when he chooses the noble route in the face of overwhelming tragedy.

And what's worse than the following situation?

Doc Ock has taken over Spidey's body, and he's running around with his life, intent on living it out in his own way. Ock has put Spidey in his own, dying, body, and skedaddled. Spidey attempts to get his body back, but Ock (who has always been smarter than him) has him at every point and turn. Peter tries to kill Ock, but even that fails, because Ock is using his abilities better than Peter ever thought to. Now Peter's lying on the street, and Ock's about to kill him with a car with his own body(!), so what does Spidey do?

He uses the telepathic link that Ock established to make Ock relive Peter's whole life, except that it's now Ock living his life. He knows Uncle Ben and Aunt May's love, he knows how the selfishness that Ock has shown only all too much of robbed him of his Uncle, and he shows Ock what... they... do because of it. Ock is overcome, and falls to his knees, saying that this wasn't what he wanted, he only wanted power, girls, and fame(sound familiar?)! But he agrees that with great power comes great responsibility. Peter asks to see his loved ones one last time, and dies in the street, leaving Ock in awe of what he has just been given. He promises to be better from that day on out. 

Did anyone else notice the parallels to Amazing Fantasy? Arrogant and bitter teen gets awesome powers, uses them selfishly, and has a massive shock which convinces him to use his powers for the betterment of everyone, despite himself, and that with great power comes great responsibility...

Yup, this was Ock's Amazing Fantasy 15. T'was bloody fantastic. I can't wait to see what Slott does with this, in The Superior Spider-Man! Unlike the majority of the morons on the internet, I'm pumped. This is gonna be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment